Thursday, October 8, 2009

On that note...

(That would be one of my treble cleft notes.) This is how I left my home in Sea Point last weekend.More than on a high note, it was from a high floor too, which made it rather difficult for those brave enough to manoeuvre my weighty case to ground level. I am of course pianoforte, owned by oneLisi of Cape Town.
“BALANCED TENSION - A system of piano back construction, wherein iron levers replace the conventional wood posts. The back is tremendously strong and rigid, thereby permitting greater string tension which results in better piano tone.”

I happen to be one of them strong-backed pianos that is rigid and has superb tone and tense strings. Great for playing and acoustics; terrible prospect for moving companies; horrendous prospect for friends having to move piano; big-time guilt factor for broke piano-owner having to ask friends to move piano. Move, as in relocate. To another home. Down three storeys. That is, five flights of stairs. No elevator.

But, as I said, great for acoustics.

So they gathered on Saturday morning. Six of them; looking fresh and oblivious. An introduction was made; glances thrown in my direction. The start of a memorable journey. (Possibly the haunting kind.)

I actually can’t go into a descriptive portrayal of the move down the stairs, the five flights of narrow stairs that is, onto the bakkie, past High Level Road, into Green Point, away from the beautiful blue waters, into the City Bowl, around the corner, right into Tamboerskloof, off the bakkie, through the gate, up two flights of stairs, into the lounge, turned onto my side (!!) and finally into the bedroom. All eight of us were exhausted! The six carriers had formed lifelong friendships having shared a stressful and tense experience; the owner had six new ex-friends; and I, the piano, had lost my edge. No really, some of my edges were chipped off. War wounds. (Very proud.)

The good thing is that, after all that heavy lifting and blood, sweat and tears, the owner now feels obliged to play more regularly and learn new songs. How do I thank these men? Finally, she’s going to learn new songs! She will also have to up her game as I’ve noticed that the new neighbourhood is super quiet and one would have to play your absolute best in these serene and cultured streets.

Who knows where the story will end. Right now, I’m just happy to have my very own post stamp view of Table Mountain.

-----*-----

Huge thanks to all that helped with the move – you guys rock!!! Mike, Ange, Chris, Gav, Lee, Dwain, Danielle, Abrie, Justin, Jaco, Matt, Katie, Wells, Barwise and Annie. Special commendation to the piano friends: Mike, Chris, Dwain, Justin, Jaco and Matt.






2 comments:

Lindé said...

"Home is the only place where, when you have to go there, they have to take you in." - Robert Frost

Welcome to your new home Lisi lady! The "they" in this quote refers to the piano and that holding-on-for-dear-life plant of yours if he's still around.
;)

Lisi said...

haha! unlucky. poor unlucky. still very unlucky. possibly going to be the featured guest at a funeral soon... :(

i really tried, I swear!

oh the shame...