Wednesday, December 21, 2011

some deliberate thoughts


Because they’re not random and I’m against word abuse.


Ever noticed how some people cannot say sushi?  There are the two groups that get it wrong; it’s either “susi”, or “shushi” – with the odd alternation between the two.  And have you also noticed how it is funny at first, and then it gets frustrating?  Because they refuse to see their folly.  When at first you hear someone say “susi”, and sometimes they correct themselves by saying “shushi” or vice versa, it’s kind of funny and there are those few moments of grace that you allow them to get to “sushi”, but then, they don’t.  And you have that expression on your face that looks like a hiccup got stuck in your throat.  So you make sure that you use “sushi” in your response – “Oh, nice, sushi, I love s.u.s.h.i…” and you hope that your “inadvertent” correction doesn’t go unnoticed.  And this is where it gets weird, because they just carry on with “shushi”, or “susi”.  And they don’t see their folly.  Or you come back with, “You’re going out for what?”, and they reiterate, “Susi”, and you go, “You mean sushi”, and they reply, “Yes, shushi, that’s what I said.  I love shushi”, which you find hard to believe cause that just defies logic that you can love something that you’re unable to pronounce.  And you let it go because you realise that this hill is not the one you want to die on.  You don’t hear a lot of people say shusi though…

Another fear I was confronted with this week – dental damnation.  The worst part about being an adult is that you have to go to the dentist alone.  Lying in that chair, very comfortable mind you, I start praying with sincere gusto for the dentist’s technical ability, the steadiness of his hand, his day, everything that happened prior to my arrival, everything that he’s thinking of for when after I leave, for peace to overcome him, for technical ability to increase to supernatural altitudes – literally must be a wonderful experience for the dentist because he gets covered in prayer and blessing and he gets career skills that surpasses age and knowledge.  I also start praying for a miracle like never before.  That the whole tooth will be miraculously healed, that the glory may come right now on the chair before the injection does.  Bargaining with God has never worked though has it?  Sigh.  I find dental appointments a terrifying experience.  On the other hand, I love a numb cheek – makes me want to giggle at everything because I’m convinced that only half my face is smiling and really, that cracks me up.


No comments: