Friday, June 24, 2011

i got skills

It’s true that I have some skills.  Some more obscure than others, but skills nonetheless.  And sometimes I think about my skills, and my skills become obvious, it jumps out at me.  And then I think I should blog about my skills. 


Like the other day when I made gnocchi and I ended up unintentionally (it’s always unintentionally that’s why it’s so awesome) cutting the chicken fillet in exactly as many pieces as the pieces of gnocchi that I added to the meal.  So that means for every piece of gnocchi I had a similar sized piece of chicken.  So every bite was awesome.  Pure skill people.  (Add Ina’s Sundried Tomato & Pecorino pasta sauce and some pecan nuts and your choice of fresh herbs (rocket would go well).)

I also have this inadvertent tendency to pour wine exactly equally for as many glasses I’m given without having to return to a glass to top it up and finishing the bottle at the same time.  I don’t know if people can appreciate this really but it’s kind of awesome.  Think it could be because I have over 8 years’ experience of waiting mostly at the more refined service-orientated restaurants.  Poured a lot of wine in my day. 

Ok, maybe it’s not skill – it’s more like fluke.  The frequently recurring kind. 

Other strange things have happened to me as well.  Like sometimes when typing, I type kind of seriously fast (I’m not bragging, I get paid to do it, it’s my job), anyway – sometimes when I type it’s like my brain is slower than my typing.  Hmmm… how do I articulate this?  Like one time when I was typing an opinion/memo for my boss and my brain couldn’t remember to type a certain word (legal mumbo jumbo wordy word) but then the muscle memory in my fingers knew how to type that word and did so before I could remember how to spell it.  Was kind of cool.  If you play a musical instrument you will know what I’m talking about.

Another time, ok this is a little different, but still – I wanted to type “jaw” and by default ended up typing it with a capital “J”, like Jaws...  Ok – I have no idea how this fits in with this blog.

There are other skills that I have too – like moving my big toe without moving the other four and vice versa, eating ice cream on a cold day, reading minds…  And I park really, really well.  No jokes.  Strangers and random pedestrians have commented on my superior parking skills.  Parallel baby!!

Yes, I said baby.  This blog is going pear.  There is no way of recovering after saying “baby” so going to end the blog here.  And also, I don’t have time now to write more things.  I do have more skills.  For stories of my other skills... err... just keep watching me and try and be near me to hear what I say and see what I do... 

And try be encouraging.  It's my love language.   

Happy weekend.



1 comment:

Ilse said...

Jy weet jy't sopas erken dat jy maths skills het! Nou moet jy dit net herken... (that goes for the chicken as well as the wine)! I am duly impressed.